Ice Cream

Man, I am craving a banana split sundae in the WORST WAY right now. It's all I can think about. Which is weird. Because I don't actually like banana split sundaes. Never have. I was always a plain and simple chocolate fudge sundae fan, no nuts, no jimmies. Just a whole lot of fudge, maybe some whip cream, and a cherry on top.
I remember going out for ice cream when we were kids, and it was a big fucking deal. 5 kids, broke, cheap parents... it meant that ice cream was a treat the likes of which I don't really get anymore. You know the kind. The treat that you value so deeply because of it's scarcity, the kind you savor for as long as possible.

There are very few things I desperately want that I can't easily get anymore. That's an odd thought. I'm not wealthy (LORD, I'm not wealthy). But I really can't think of anything that I feel the same way as I used to feel about an ice cream sundae. And that makes me kind of sad. I loved the savoring of a treat you rarely got. Not necessarily one you had to work for (I would have deeply resented it if my parents had tried to make us work specifically for ice cream. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would have rebelled and just given up ice cream completely if they'd pulled a stunt like that. I hated the idea of being held hostage to my joys.), but one that was hard and rare to come by.

Honestly, I'm rather drawn to a life where simplicity is enforced, and ice cream is a lush treat. Something to be savored, and remembered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I fall

Babel

Needs, Wants, Desires