New new new

I have always hated doing what was expected. It's made holidays, and pretty much any other day you're "supposed" to celebrate, pretty uncomfortable for me and those around me. I even kind of hate celebrating anniversaries. There's this sense that you HAVE TO HAVE FUN. And if you don't, there's something seriously wrong. I just get so intensely uncomfortable with that idea. In fact, I get uncomfortable enough that I'm pretty much guaranteed not going to have fun. And then THERE'S SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG! So, I tend to just avoid the fuss. I don't celebrate my birthday for the most part. I don't celebrate any holidays except those which involve cooking copious amounts of good food and feeding people, or dressing up in ridiculous costumes and getting drunk and scaring people.

One of my least favorite holidays has always been New Years Eve. The idea that we're supposed to celebrate the beginning of a new year (which in and of itself is a completely arbitrary idea) by going out, surrounding ourselves with huge groups of strangers, getting completely shitfaced, and kissing someone at midnight.
I just... No. Just no. So not me. The only time I've ever enjoyed celebrating New Years is with a lover, in a hot tub, on an island, with a cigar and good scotch. That's pretty much it. All other times have involved too much stress, drama, drinking, and unhappy, uncomfortable bullshit.

So, this year I decided not to even pretend or try. I could have gone out and done it up right. I had to work till 11pm, but I could have easily been somewhere crowded and miserable by midnight. Instead I stayed home. Trevor and I watched a cheesy action flick, ordered steak takeout from the strip club/amazing steakhouse up the street, and polished off a bottle of champagne between the two of us. I kissed him at midnight, though that felt a little odd and forced on my part. But other than that, it was perfect. No drama, no pressure, no dealing with other peoples bullshit. It was nice and mellow. Until we went to bed and Trevor started tickling my ridiculously oversensitive legs. Whereupon both of us realized we'd had A LOT of champagne (which he's never had before), got really giggly, and proceeded to have crazy, goofy sex. I've never orgasmed while laughing hysterically before, and honestly don't know if I ever want to again. NO DIGNITY. But it was a propitious start to the New Year. That's how beginnings should be celebrated. With the way you intend to continue. Since I fully intend to continue making healthy decisions, and having amazing sex, I'm thinking I've started my new tradition.

Of course, I now feel the need to go out and party tonight, just to prove I'm not THAT old, and to fulfill a need to be social.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I fall

Babel

Needs, Wants, Desires