When I was young, I'd dream of escaping inside myself.

I folded my arms around my heart and curved my body down. I dreamt of being a cocoon, invisible on the outside, but with a rich internal life.

I can't tell you how many moments those images got me through. Every level of emotional trauma was met with this idea of escaping inside myself. It was comforting and warm, the ability to curl away from any danger, any damage.

But the older I get, the more I dream of spreading my wings and flying away. I know longer see myself folding inwards when threatened. I see myself throwing wide my arms and dancing. I throw a coat of joy on over my vulnerable parts, I feel fire licking up my limbs and eating away at any danger that comes near,

I feel power now. A power that my cocoon never had. I rarely feel the desire to hide away anymore, to protect my soft parts with my arms and back.

I don't know where this power came from, but I'm grateful to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I fall

Babel

Needs, Wants, Desires