Ephemeral depth

I got an email from a former lover this morning, catching me up on life and love. It was a beautifully worded letter, full of things that made me so happy to hear. It's such a lovely thing when the person at the end of a connection you thought you lost plucks the cord that still exists between you and plays you a little tune.
He ended the letter with:

Blue smoke in moonlight,
Cicadas stirring, fireflies lazily drift,
ping
frogs hop
and…
How many can say, as we may,
"we met in a collision of poetry"?
"We sail tonight for Singapore."
-----------------------------------------

And I got this incredibly happy. This knowledge that the memories you create with people, these seemingly ephemeral connections that come in and overwhelm you for a heartbeat, till they fade away, are not shallow. The moments that stick like taffy to the sides of the mercurial pool that is human experience, they are connected on the other side to the person you shared them with. Together, you create the depth that allows them to last, that allows you to learn from and enjoy those memories long after that person is no longer helping you create new memories.

For someone like me, who is so afraid of loss that she'll do some ridiculously unhealthy things to avoid it, this is an important reminder. The nights I remember, the conversations I replay, the words I throw at people... they all have their partners on the other sides of the threads I've thrown out and attached to other humans. It's nice to be reminded that the webs we weave don't only touch us, that we aren't alone in the center.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I fall

Babel

Needs, Wants, Desires