Good things

I am sitting on the patio, watching a storm roll past. There is lightening in the clouds in front of me, and a bruised sunset off to my side. I'm watching bats and hawks swirl through the air, lightening lit clouds their backdrop, visible for a moment and then gone, only to reappear moments later feet away. Magical birds, magical sky, magical air. The wind is blowing in fitful bursts, smelling of pennies and flowers and sun warmed rocks.
I am drinking a cup of chrysanthemum tea, the flower at the bottom of my mug a complex sea creature waving with every sip I take. I ate good food tonight, that I made myself with love and effort. I drank a cocktail made from quality ingredients that tasted like ingenious human engineering. I smoked a cigar that made me lightheaded for a moment, and I drank water that soothed my tongue and my head. I swam for a bit, and then rested my arms against the side of the pool and read a good book while my legs kept up a gentle but steady movement.
I spent very little money to have all of this goodness, just enough for quality ingredients and no more. I have savings in my bank account that is about to be put to very good use. I am waiting for a phone call from my brother, who will hopefully video chat with me with his brand new baby in his arms. I am content in the knowledge of where I will sleep tonight, in a comfortable bed in a safe house. I will wake up tomorrow with the sunrise, after a good nights sleep full of dreams that fascinate me, and I will go outside again to enjoy this beauty with a mug of very good coffee in my hands.
I am content. I am not content just because of these things, but they are a part of it. Just want to remember what this feels like. I don't always want to feel this way. But I want to remember what it feels like when I don't anymore, remember how easily I can get here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I fall

Babel

Needs, Wants, Desires