When I cook

Especially when I cook for others, food becomes something almost spiritual in my mind. I'm so used to a sense of unselfish giving and community in the preparation of food that everything I make, even mac and cheese at 3am for drunk friends, becomes a gift meant to be shared. Nourishment for the body and the emotions. I can't imagine eating becoming mechanical. Even when I'm sick and all I want is chicken broth, I relish the silky texture and salty taste of the broth, and I take note of how it makes me feel better.

I think that's one of the reasons farming/gardening is so appealing to me lately. I love the idea of nourishing the food that I'm going to use to nourish others. Putting into it what I'm hoping to gain out of it. The older I get, the more stock I put into the concept that nothing is unconnected. The thought I put into food, for myself and others, can be transmitted to its intended recipients. And I love that idea. I'm not just making you cookies, I'm making you happy. I'm not just providing a feast, I'm providing a home for an hour or a day, for 2 or for 20.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I fall

Babel

Needs, Wants, Desires